Welcome to the Monticello Community School District! The District serves students in the town of Monticello and surrounding areas. The District has four buildings within the city limits:
- Shannon Elementary (Grades PreK-1st)
- Carpenter Elementary (Grades 2-4)
- Monticello Middle School (Grades 5-8)
- Monticello High School (Grades 9-12)
We passed a bond vote on September 11, 2018 for a new Middle School Building, grades 5-8. The new building is beautiful and opened at the start of the 2020-21 school year. It is attached to our current High School.
Shannon Elementary also houses our before and after school child care and summer program called Panther Academy. For more information on Panther Academy please visit their page or call Panther Academy Director, Tammy Helgens at 465-5425 or 465-3000, option 5 OR email: email@example.com
We also have a Transition School. The Monticello Transition Center programming is designed for students entitled to Special Education services who have completed their senior year of high school and have incomplete living skills, work skills, and communication skills. A referral and application process is necessary for entrance. If you have any questions regarding the Monticello Transition Center please contact Cindy Melchert, Transition Center Teacher at 319-465-3052.
How do I enroll my child(ren)? – If you live in the district or plan to move to the district, please contact the school building where your children will attend or you may also contact the District Office. All buildings can be reached at
For 2022-23, we will have openings in the Little Panthers Preschool. If you are interested in registering your 4-year-old, please register your four-year-old in one of the following ways:
1. Download and print the forms. Forms are located on this website. At the top of this page, go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then download Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire. Mail the completed application & questionnaire to Shannon Elementary, 321 W South St. Monticello, IA 52310.
2. Complete the application & questionnaire electronically by clicking on the Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire Link. The link is located on this website. At the top of this page, go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then click on Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire Link.
3. The application & questionnaire can be mailed to you by calling Shannon Elementary Office at
· Applications are due February 28.
· Preschool openings are filled through a lottery method.
· Head Start slots and Empowerment grants are available.
This preschool is an inclusive, full-day program (Monday through Thursday) for students of all needs. Our program offers:
· A certified teacher and paraprofessional
· Large and small group instruction
· Learning Centers
· Developmentally appropriate schedule and activities
· Thematic instruction
· Social Skills Curriculum
· Breakfast, lunch, milk, and snacks
Click here for more information on Little Panther Preschool!
2022-23 Kindergarten Round Up – Kindergarten Round Up for students entering Kindergarten in the fall of 2022 is scheduled for January 4 thru January 28, 2022. At this time parents will be asked to complete some informational forms. Forms can be completed by one of the following options:
1. Download and print the forms. Forms are located on our website: https://www.monticello.k12.ia.us/. Go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then download the Kindergarten Roundup Letter and New Student Form. Mail completed forms to Shannon Elementary, 321 W South St. Monticello, IA 52310
2. Complete the forms electronically by clicking on the New Student Form Survey Link. The link is located on our website: https://www.monticello.k12.ia.us/. Go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then click on New Student Form Survey Link
3. Forms can be mailed to you by calling Shannon Elementary Office at
Completed immunizations and a dental exam are required by law for all students entering Kindergarten. Some of the series of vaccines take six (6) months to complete. Start now to make sure all needed immunizations are completed before your child starts school in the Fall
August Registration Information
We hold our annual school registration in August for all of our schools.
- Like previous years, you will be able to pay for fees (including lunches) online with a credit card, debit card, or e-check.
- If you do not to wish to utilize the online payment option, fee payments may be mailed to MCSD Registration, 850 East Oak Street, Monticello, IA 52310. You will also need to complete and mail in the registration form so we can apply the fees correctly to your account.
Tech devices, agendas, padlocks, etc. can be picked up on the first day of school. Schedules will be available in PowerSchool.
eRegistration is required for all students (whether you pay online or mail in your payment)!
Parents can now go through the eRegistration process. Login to your PowerSchool account and begin registering your students. If you need instructions on how to do this, click to download the eRegistration instructions here. Parents with new students to the district can download this instruction document also.
If you have forgotten your user name or password for PowerSchool, a link is provided on the parent login page for PowerSchool. Click on “forgot username or password” link on that page. If you are having trouble with the eRegistration process, please contact Morgan Murray-Zimmerman at 319-465-3000, ext. 2030 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please call the District Office at 319-465-3000 if you have any questions!