Welcome to the Monticello Community School District! The District serves students in the town of Monticello and surrounding areas. The District has four buildings within the city limits:
- Shannon Elementary (Grades PreK-1st)
- Carpenter Elementary (Grades 2-4)
- Monticello Middle School (Grades 5-8)
- Monticello High School (Grades 9-12)
We passed a bond vote on September 11, 2018 for a new Middle School Building, grades 5-8. The new building is beautiful and opened at the start of the 2020-21 school year. It is attached to our current High School.
Shannon Elementary also houses our before and after school child care and summer program called Panther Academy. For more information on Panther Academy please visit their page or call Panther Academy Director, Tammy Helgens at 465-5425 or 465-3000, option 5 OR email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have a Transition School. The Monticello Transition Center programming is designed for students entitled to Special Education services who have completed their senior year of high school and have incomplete living skills, work skills, and communication skills. A referral and application process is necessary for entrance. If you have any questions regarding the Monticello Transition Center please contact Cindy Melchert, Transition Center Teacher at 319-465-3052.
How do I enroll my child(ren)? – If you live in the district or plan to move to the district, please contact the school building where your children will attend or you may also contact the District Office. All buildings can be reached at
Registration for the Little Panthers Preschool for the 2023-2024 school year will be available January 4 thru February 28, 2023. Please register your four-year-old in one of the following ways:
1. Download and print the forms.
Forms will be located on our website: https://www.monticello.k12.ia.us/. Go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then download Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire. Mail the completed application & questionnaire to Shannon Elementary, 321 W South St. Monticello, IA 52310
2. Complete the application & questionnaire electronically by clicking on the Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire Link.
The link is located on our website: https://www.monticello.k12.ia.us/. Go to Schools, click on Shannon Elementary, click on Downloads, and then click on Little Panthers Preschool Application & Questionnaire Link.
3. The application & questionnaire can be picked up at Shannon or mailed to you by calling Shannon Elementary Office at 319-465-3000, press 5 and then 2.
General education four-year-old preschool openings are filled through a lottery method. The program includes: breakfast, lunch, milk, and snacks. If your child turns four years old on or before September 15, a Statewide Voluntary Preschool allocation will lower your child’s tuition. This program also serves six HeadStart slots and special education students (for both three and four-year-olds). More information about Little Panthers Preschool will be available in the January issue of the School Spirit.
If you have any questions for Kindergarten or Little Panthers Preschool, please call Sandy Hinrichs at 319-465-3000, press 5 and then 2.
· Applications are due February 28.
· Preschool openings are filled through a lottery method.
· Head Start slots and Empowerment grants are available.
This preschool is an inclusive, full-day program (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) for students of all needs. Our program offers:
· A certified teacher and paraprofessional
· Large and small group instruction
· Learning Centers
· Developmentally appropriate schedule and activities
· Thematic instruction
· Social Skills Curriculum
· Breakfast, lunch, milk, and snacks
Click here for more information on Little Panther Preschool!
Kindergarten Registration for the 2023-2024 school year will be available in the coming months. We are still working on the online registration in Infinite Campus. Keep an eye out for it in the School Spirit, on our Facebook page, and on our website in the upcoming months!
August Registration Information
We hold our annual school registration in August for all of our schools.
- Like previous years, you will be able to pay for fees (including lunches) online with a credit card, debit card, or e-check.
- If you do not to wish to utilize the online payment option, fee payments may be mailed to MCSD Registration, 850 East Oak Street, Monticello, IA 52310. You will also need to complete and mail in the registration form so we can apply the fees correctly to your account.
Tech devices, agendas, padlocks, etc. can be picked up on the first day of school. Schedules will be available in Infinite Campus.
Online Registration (OLR) is required for all students (whether you pay online or mail in your payment)!
We will be switching to a new student information system called Infinite Campus. Please call our help desk personnel, Morgan Murray-Zimmerman if you have a question about OLR @ 319-320-1132.
If you have any other questions, please call the District Office at 319-465-3000.